January 23, 2008

Puppies are Stinky!

Well, we were crazy and decided to get two puppies a few months ago. We thought it would be good for the kids to have something to take care of/entertain when the new baby comes. So, we got two Malteese/Poodle puppies. They are brother and sister. We named them Cowboy and Jessie. Yep, the whole "Toy Story" theme. They have been an interesting challenge.


We got them November 4th, about 2 days before we moved into our new home. Yea, brilliant idea with new carpet and all! I promised Lamoni he would have NOTHING to do with them. I've kept my promise and believe it or not, he's taken to the girl and she is his "TV buddy". They are great lap-dogs and will remain quite small. In fact, right now as I type this, Jessie, the female has jumped into my lap and amazingly found room on my lap to sit. Their mom was the Malteese and top weight was 8 lbs. The dad was the poodle and was only 4 lbs. The nice thing about having two of them is they entertain each other - and they bite each other instead of my furniture!! We're still working on the house-training, but they're getting better. Of course the kids love them. Especially Lili. We are constantly saying to the kids, "put the dog down!" I am getting used to the dogs running to me in search of sanctuary with a bounding child following close behind. It makes me giggle. I do have to say that Lili is a great help with the poopies. I've trained her good - I see her running from the bathroom with a stream of toilet paper flowing behind her. She then yells, "Mom, I saw a poopie - but don't worry, I'll flush it!" That's perfectly fine with me! She's such a blessing. Just recently we bought a dog grooming kit - to save money. The dogs don't shed, but their hair does grow, so we like to keep them trimmed short, but at $25 a puppy, it was getting expensive. So Cami the pet groomer had her first patients. Poor puppies, they look hilarious!! I knew they would. Actually, Cowboy was a pill and wouldn't let me near his face, so he's still a bit poofy, but Jessie was as casual as ever, she thought it was a big massage session. She just layed there and enjoyed the clippers, so I got carried away, especially around her face. Oh, well at least it will grow out. I don't have pictures of their new ugly hair cuts, but I'll post some soon. So, the puppy experience has been a trip, and all I have to say is, "Puppies are stinky!!"

2 comments:

Kristi said...

They are sooo cute! I want one!

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Kristi, they are cute, but I don't want one. You can keep them and update me! Hey, check my blog. I've tagged you!