May 31, 2008

Crescent City

Living in Cave Junction, Oregon only puts us an hour away from the California/Oregon coast.  When we take trips to the beach, we usually go to Crescent City, California.  That's where Lamoni usually goes surfing and it has a great beach.  

We took our first beach trip of the season and it was a blast!  The weather was awesome.  As you can see, my kids are actually in their swimming suits IN the OCEAN! Now for those of you who don't know the Northern California/Oregon coast. . . It's FREEZING!! The water is forever cold - wetsuits are a MUST when surfing - and the wind is always blowing to make it a very cold beach experience.  Well we were lucky enough to catch one of the few amazing days at the beach!  I let the kids bring their swimming suits (thinking to myself - yea right, they're not going to wear them.) and they ended up putting them on, and enjoying playing in the water.
I actually got to use sunscreen at the beach, so I put it on everyone - but myself!  Yep, I got burned!  My face and arms were pretty bad, but at least the kids were okay.
MaryAlice got to experience her first trip to the beach.  She slept through most of it.  
We did have an interesting experience happen.   Lili was having too much fun playing in the ocean, and she had an accident in her swimming suit.  So Lamoni took over - being the Hawaiian father he is, he just took her back into the ocean and began to swing her back and forth to wash her clean.  I was a bit embarrased, but he just replyed, "Dear, this is how you do it in Hawaii!" Yes, I thought, but we're in California.  There's probably some law against wiping your kids bum in the ocean.  But oh well,  It worked - and what other choice did we have?   All in all, it was a fun trip. 



No comments: