Well, this all started about 3 weeks ago. Lamoni was leaving for a quick trip to Utah before the baby was born. Well, naturally, the first night he was gone, I started hearing noises under our bed. I thought maybe I was just hearing things, being a scared wife all alone. I swear I could hear "chewing" noises. I called Lamoni almost freaking out, but he talked me out of it saying "why would a brand-new house have a mouse/rat? Well, he was gone for a whole week and every once in a while at night, I would hear noises. So, just to make it through the week, I ended up sleeping with my earphones in, listening to my iPod.
Well, Lamoni comes home and I can't wait for him to hear the "mouse". It had checked in to stay in our Master bedroom, but luckily it was on Lamoni's side - over by his nightstand. I never saw it, just could hear it once in a while. I was so excited to show Lamoni that I wasn't crazy! Well, about a week went by, and the darn thing was a mute!! I was beginning to doubt myself when one morning about 5am, I heard it!! so I quietly tried to wake Lamoni. After about 10 minutes it was still making "chewing" noises, and I whispered to Lamoni again "are you awake? do you hear the mouse?" and he whispered back, "yea, I hear it!" Oh, I was soooooo happy!!! "See!" I shouted, "I'm not crazy! Yea!!"
So, now that the husband had finally heard the beast, a trap was set that night. Lamoni went out and bought "the better mouse trap" it was a new mouse trap that was a little nicer to the mice. Instead of squashing the beast, it would snap down a little enclousure on the head and quickly suffocate it. (it reminded me of the game Hungry-Hungry-Hippos) Well, we settled down for bed that night and I was awoken at 11pm by a loud snap. Yea, I said! we caught him!! well, the darn thing started squeaking. So I could hear struggling, and squeaking - no way was I going to sleep. So I woke up Lamoni (Yes, he was sleeping through it all, he's just getting himself ready for a newborn baby!) and Lamoni said that it should die soon from suffocation. So I waited, and waited, and waited. The darn thing was squeaking until 2am when I put in my trusty earphones again and went to sleep listening to my iPod again. About 4am I was awake again, but the room was silent. "Finally," I thought "it's dead- well Lamoni can get rid of it in the morning"
So, in the morning, Lamoni goes to get the mouse and it's gone!!!! Mousetrap and all are gone!!! Here is where Lamoni set the trap, right in the open space next to the nightstand. There should be a mouse and mousetrap there!!
No way!! the mouse took off with the trap! So, Lamoni starts tearing apart our bedroom. No mouse and no mousetrap!! No kidding!! So, I'm laughing wondering where we're going to find our little mouse with his head stuck in a trap. Our "Sleepy Hollow Mouse". We looked under our bed, all over our room, in the bathroom, everywhere!! but where could a mouse hide when he has a trap stuck over his head?? Lamoni was glad I was laughing about the whole thing. I told him if I was going to be mad, I'd be mad at myself for not making Lamoni take the mouse out when it started squeaking. But I didn't want to trouble Lamoni, make him put his foot on and such, I just figured it would die soon, and Lamoni could take care of it in the morning.
Well, 3 days later - yea, 3 days later it just shows up in the middle of our hallway. About 30 feet from where we set the trap - and the blasted beast is still alive!! Lamoni finds him first. He actually thought it was just the trap, but he looked closer and there was a mouse by it. I had been playing with the kids in their bedroom for a few hours that morning, so we have no idea where it came from.

It was just trapped by one of it's feet. We told the kids he was reaching for the cheese - ha! So, the poor thing was pretty far gone, but still alive. Lamoni and the kids took it across the street into the woods and "set it free".

What a trooper, he survived for 3 weeks under Lamoni's nightstand, probably roaming the house feasting on kid crumbs at night. Getting his hand caught in a trap, dragging it who know where in the house and surviving another 3 days with that huge plastic prosthetic on his arm! The trap was just as big as the mouse!!

Next time we're using the good old fashioned mouse trap that just smashes the brains out of them so they don't struggle and squeak the whole night long - then take off with our trap! Oh, well, at least I can prove I'm not a crazy wife who hears things when her husband goes out of town!!
3 comments:
HA! I would freak out! I am with you on the smashing it's brains in.
I am glad to know that you were able to convince Lamoni that you were not hearing things:) I have been told that I think I am hearing things:)
I am laughing so hard here...That is crazy Riordan reality...get used to it girl! Cody was hearing the same thing at our house last night...maybe your mouse hitched a ride into town and turned up at our house !!!! HA!
THAT BABY SHOULD BE HERE TONIGHT ..I am having dreams Ü
Post a Comment