So, around Mothers day, Alma brought home a plant from school. He told me he planted the seed and they watched it grow. They were able to bring the plants home for Mothers Day.
Well, when the plant arrived home, it was a little shabby and broken up. I was actually a little impressed, the poor thing had endured a whole classroom of Kindergardeners and a bus ride home! It didn't look too good, but I loved it, and watered it in the house for a few weeks.
I thought it was a vine plant and Alma told me his teacher said it was a flower. Well, when it came time to plant my vegetable seedlings out in our garden, I thought I'd put this sad little vine plant (flower) in a pot out in the garden. It shared a pot with another Mothers Day flower I got from my Mom. (some kind of a bush flower). They were good pot buddies. Well, Alma's flower started to really grow big, and started taking over the whole pot. I was quite glad the thing lived and was thriving! Well, one day, it bloomed a big, bright orange flower! I was so impressed with the flower. I showed Alma and he said, "Yea Mom, it's a flower remember?" Well, the bloom only lasted one day, hmmm, I thought, maybe it's a special kind of flower with special blooms that only last one day. How cool! (this picture shows the blossom after it was done being pretty for one day. . . didn't last long)
Well, one day, I went out and found these two perfect little circles growing on our "flower plant". Holy smokes! Is this a pumpkin plant? (Alma had no clue, he still thought it was a flower) It sure is! No wonder it was totally taking over the pot it was planted in! I showed my friend, Nora and she said I better get it in the ground quick! It needs room to grow!
The funny thing is, I had 2 pumpkin plants growing wildly in my garden already. . . didn't I notice the similarities?? Guess not!
I think what threw me off was the blossoms were blooming before the pumpkins were showing up on the vines. But, now the blossoms have pumpkins behind them. Cool!
So, that's my funny story about how awesome of a gardner I am that I can't tell the difference between a pumpkin plant, and a flower! I've got a lot to learn!
Don't put me in charge of the pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving. . . you might end up picking daisies out of your teeth!
5 comments:
I love it! You make me laugh! And yes they will take over the world. I have 4 and YIKES they are big!
I love it!!! Alma may forever want to plant flowers if they all have pumpkins:)
Ha ha! What a great story. You are kind of the "accidental" gardener; everything you plant magically grows! Remember the bulbs in Oregon? (That's still one of my favorite stories).
A pumpkin is even better than just a plain old flower! :) LOL
You are too funny! Speaking of flowers and gardens...remind me when you get home to give you some of this plant food. It is amazing my flowers tripled in size! And it works on vegys...so your pumpkins could be huge! :)
Post a Comment